BREAST IMPLANTS (AUGMENATION)
Breast augmentation, technically known as augmentation mammoplasty, is a surgical procedure to enhance the size and shape of a woman's breast for a number of reasons:
- To enhance the body contour of a woman who, for personal reasons, feels her breast size is too small.
- To restore breast volume lost due to weight loss or following pregnancy.
- To achieve better symmetry when breasts are moderately disproportionate in size and shape.
- To improve the shape of breasts that are sagging or have lost firmness, often used with a breast lift procedure.
- To provide the foundation of a breast contour when a breast has been removed or disfigured by surgery to treat breast cancer.
- To improve breast appearance or create the appearance of a breast that is missing or disfigured due to trauma, heredity, or congenital abnormalities.
By inserting an implant behind each breast, surgeons are able to increase a woman's bustline by one or more bra cup sizes.